Background. The development of Russian statehood at the present stage takes place in the context of endless democratic transformations and reforms. New public relations and institutions are being formed. A special role in this process is played by the judiciary, which currently performs not only the administration of justice, but also performs the function of judicial rule-making, the forms of which are judicial precedents and judicial practice of the highest judicial instances. Meanwhile, to date, a unified concept of judicial rule-making in Russia has not been developed, it needs theoretical substantiation, a comprehensive study of theories and doctrines of fatherland scientists, including the pre-revolutionary period. The purpose of the work is to analyze the main ideas about judicial rule-making in pre-revolutionary Russia (1864–1917).
Materials and methods. The implementation of research tasks was achieved on the basis of the analysis of scientific works of domestic lawyers of the pre-revolutionary and modern period, affecting the stated problems, as well as the legal provisions of the regulatory legal acts of the designated period. The methodological basis of the study consists of formal-legal, comparative-legal and historical methods, which allow to compare the content of views, ideas about judicial rule-making in the researching period, their origin and development in specific historical conditions.
Results. The development of ideas about judicial rule-making in the Russian Empire of the pre-revolutionary period was studied, the views of supporters and opponents of the recognition of judicial practice as one of the sources of fatherland law were analyzed.
Conclusions. Studying the problem of judicial rule-making in pre-revolutionary Russia leads to the conclusion that the judicial reform of 1864 strengthened the position of the judicial branch of power as an independent and independent force. In this regard, the doctrine of the existence of judicial rule-making began to be of interest to prominent representatives of the legal science of the time, an analysis of the works of which allows us to state that judicial practice did not receive legislative consolidation as a source of law, but nevertheless acted as a regulator of public relations, replenishing gaps in the current legislation.
1. Korkunov N. M. Lektsii po obshchey teorii prava [Lectures on general theory of law]. Saint-Petersburg: Yuridicheskiy tsentr-Press, 2004, 458 p. [In Russian]
2. Momotov V. V. Zhurnal zarubezhnogo zakonodatel'stva i sravnitel'nogo pravovedeniya [Journal of foreign legislation and comparative jurisprudence]. 2017, no. 5 (66), pp. 40–49. [In Russian]
3. Ilyukhina V. A. Vestnik Nizhegorodskoy akademii MVD Rossii [Bulletin of Nizhny Novgorod Academy of MIA of Russia]. 2016, no. 1 (33), pp. 37–41. [In Russian]
4. Shershenevich G. F. Sistema torgovykh deystviy. Kritika osnovnykh ponyatiy torgovogo prava [System of trade actions. Critics of main concepts of trade law]. Moscow: Yurayt, 2018, 328 p. [In Russian]
5. Gulyaev A. M. Tolkovanie zakona v praktike Grazhdanskogo kassatsionnogo departamenta Pravitel'stvuyushchego Senata [Interpretation of law in the practice of the Civil Department of Appeal of the Governing Senate]. Moscow: Pechatnya A. I. Snegirevoy, 1912, 71 p. [In Russian]
6. Demchenko G. V. Sudebnyy pretsedent [Court precedent]. Varshava: Tip. Varshavskogo uchebnogo okruga, 1903, 252 p. [In Russian]
7. Vas'kovskiy E. V. Vestnik Universiteta imeni O. E. Kutafina [Bulletin of University named after O. E. Kutafin]. 2017, no. 3 (31), pp. 172–199. [In Russian]
8. Sudebnye ustavy 20 noyabrya 1864 g. za pyat'desyat let: v 2 t. [Court regulations of the 20th of November 1864 for 50 years: in 2 volumes]. Ed. V. F. Fenenov et al. Petrograd: Senatskaya tipografiya, 1914, vol. 1, 786 p. [In Russian]
9. Muromtsev S. A. Yuridicheskiy vestnik [Juridical bulletin]. 1880, no. 14, pp. 377–393. [In Russian]
10. Pokrovskiy I. A. Osnovnye problemy grazhdanskogo prava [Main problems of civil law]. Petrograd: Izdanie yuridicheskogo knizhnogo sklada «Pravo», 1917, 327 p. [In Russian]
11. Gambarov Yu. S. Kurs grazhdanskogo prava. T. 1. Chast' obshchaya [A course of civil law. Vol. 1. General part]. Saint-Petersburg: Tipografiya M. M. Stasyulevicha, 1911, 780 p. [In Russian]
12. Trubetskoy E. N. Entsiklopediya prava [Encyclopedia of law]. Moscow: Tovarishchestvo skoropechatni A. A. Livenson, 1908, 225 p. [In Russian]
13. Shershenevich G. F. Obshchaya teoriya prava [General theory of law]. Moscow: Izdanie brat'ev Bashmakovykh, 1910, 806 p. [In Russian]
14. Petrazhitskiy L. N. Teoriya prava i gosudarstva v svyazi s teoriey nravstvennosti: v 2 ch. [The theory of law and state in connection with the theory of morality: in 2 parts]. Moscow: Yurayt, 2016, part 2, 421 p. [In Russian]
15. Meyer D. I. Russkoe grazhdanskoe pravo [Russian civil law]. Moscow: Sovremen. izv., 1873, 741 p. [In Russian]
16. Marchenko M. N. Istochniki prava: ucheb. posobie [Sources of law: teaching aid]. Moscow: Norma: Infra-M, 2014, 672 p. [In Russian]
17. Rossiyskoe zakonodatel'stvo X–XX vekov: Sudebnaya reforma: v 9 t. T. 8. Ustav ugolovnogo sudoproizvodstva [Russian legislation of X–XX centuries: Court reform: in 9 volumes. Vol. 8. The Charter of criminal proceedings]. Ed. O. I. Chistyakov. Moscow: Yuridicheskaya literatura, 1991, 496 p. [In Russian]
18. Sudebnye ustavy 20 noyabrya 1864 goda: s izlozheniem rassuzhdeniy, na koikh oni osnovany. Ch. 1. Ustav grazhdanskogo sudoproizvodstva [Court regulations of the 20th of November 1864: with reasonings on which they are based. Part 1. The Charter of civil proceedings]. 2nd ed., suppl. Saint-Petersburg: Tipografiya 2-go otdeleniya Sobstvennoy E. I. V. Kantselyarii, 1867, 763 p. [In Russian]